This week we talk through the events in China at the Tour of Chongming Island. We catch up on Marianne Vos’ first win of the season. We take a look at the Women’s Tour of California (aka The Breakaway From Heart Disease Women’s Race presented by SRAM). We catch up on the latest news from BMX and we take a few minutes to reflect back on the last five years of podcasting. That’s right, it’s our FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE! There’s plenty of good things (and a couple of things that induce ranty swearing) to remind ourselves of. There’s even time to play the “if I had a time machine and were insanely rich how would I help the sport” game (the rules are easier than the name). So strap yourselves in and enjoy! (54:57 MIN / 53.01 MB)
As usual, the post below includes things we talked about this week, but also videos, articles and links to things we didn’t get around to.
Listen to us here, or download directly from Soundcloud.
This week’s women’s cycling news, videos and links
This week’s racing
Tour of ChongMing Island
Short video highlights and full results
Copa de España #3, Emakumeen Aiztondo Sari Nargusia
Tour Series #1, Redditch
Other things we saw this week
The latest rider profile on the UCI YouTube – Chloe Hosking
Part of Dirt Magazine’s Bigger Slice of the British Pie MTB film:
A day in the life of British Team WNT
- Tour of Zhoushan Island 1, 10-12th May, China, UCI 2.1
- Tour Series #2, Stoke on Trent, 11th May, UK – follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4.
- 2017 Women’s WorldTour #10, Amgen Breakaway from Heart Disease Women’s Race empowered with SRAM, 11-14th May, USA. Follow on the #UCIWWT hashtag and with the race twitter. Here’s the guide to watching the highlights.
- Tour Series #3, Northwich, 12th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- 2017 Para-cycling Road World Cup #1, Maniago, 12-14th May, Italy – follow the UCI Paracycling twitter, and the #Paracycling2017 hashtag
- Rabobank 7-Dorpenomloop Aalburg aka the Marianne Vos Classic, 13th May, the Netherlands, UCI 1.2
- 2017 BMX Supercross World Cup #2, Heusden-Zolder, 13-14th May, the Netherlands – this will be streamed live on BMX Live TV, – streams for the Preview Show on Friday 12th, Day 1 on Saturday 13th and Day 2 on Sunday 14th, and more information on the race website.
- Lotto Cycling Cup #4, Dwars door de Westhoek, 14th May, Belgium, UCI 1.1. Check out the Lotto Cycling Cup twitter for more information.
- Durango-Durango Emakumeen Saria, 16th May, Spain, UCI 1.2. Follow on the race twitter.
- Tour Series #4, Wembley Park, 16th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- Iurreta-Emakumeen Bira, 17th-21st May, Spain, UCI 2.1. The last stage will be streamed live, maybe with daily highlights too and I’ll tell you how to watch nearer the time. Follow the excellent race twitter and the #Bira hashtag (that also has lots of photos of beer in it!).
- 2017 Para-cycling Road World Cup #2, Ostend, 18th-21st May, Belgium – follow the UCI Paracycling twitter, and the #Paracycling2017 hashtag
- Tour Series #5, Croydon, 18th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- 2017 Cross Country MTB World Cup #1, Nové Město na Moravě, 19th-21st May, Czech Republic. The women’s finals will be streamed live on Red Bull TV on 20th May and on the BIKE Channel in the UK, and I’ll put up more media nearer the time
- 2017 Trials World Cup #1, Aalter, 19th-21st May, Belgium
- Chrono de Gatineau ITT, 19th May, Canada, UCI 1.1. Race twitter and #ChronoGatineau
- GP de Gatineau Road Race, 20th May, Canada, UCI 1.1. Race twitter
- Salverda Omloop van de IJsseldelta, 20th May, the Netherlands, UCI 1.2
- Tour Series #6, Bath, 20th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- SwissEver GP Cham-Hagendorn, 21st May, Switzerland UCI 1.2
To keep up with the road racing that will be shown live in 2017, bookmark my collection of races we can watch this year.
Big thanks to all of my Patreon supporters, who fund me to do all my women’s cycling work, including these round-up posts. You can join them here.