This week we catch up on the racing in Spain and France with the Madrid Challenge and the Tour de l’Ardeche. We discuss what happened at the mountain bike world championships in Cairns, and we also get into the latest intrigue from Cycling Australia leading into the Road World Championships in Bergen. Speaking of which, racing in Bergen starts on Saturday! So we talk worlds, along with transfers and new team rumours. Heaps to discuss so let’s get to it! (1:02:07 MIN / 56.88 MB)
This week Sarah and Dan talk through the polemica and outrage of Dan’s whisky choices. Also discussed is each of the stages from this year’s Ladies Tour of Norway, including a bit of race-related polemica. Then there’s a look ahead to the Boels Rental Tour next week and the implications of current races for Worlds which is coming up quickly indeed now. We also wax rhapsodical about the GP Plouay which is on live tomorrow! And there’s an interesting bit of news from around the place with retirements and some fascinating new projects from retired riders. Beware, the swearing abounds this week. (46:38 MIN / 42.72 MB)
We’re at the halfway point through the 2017 Giro Rosa with five stages completed. We cover each of the stages so far, from the opening TTT through to the ITT and all the travails and changes on GC in between. There has been more than a fair share of surprise Giro geomorphology including some truly brutal climbs and so on. An incredibly close sprint finish and more. There’s lots to cover and lots more to speculate on as we continue into the second half of the stages. (Spoiler Warning: We do actually cover the end of stage 6 so bail out early if you don’t want us to reveal the winner for you). (1:06:11 MIN / 60.69 MB)
Sarah’s been collecting all the videos, photos and media of the race so far in handy posts:
And here’s our reminder of how to follow the rest of the race.
Stage 4 of the 2017 Giro Rosa was completely flat, and it looked guaranteed as a bunch sprint, with no change to the General Classification… but we all know how much the women’s peloton loves proving the scripts wrong! Plenty of attacks on the hot, windy day, but none were sticking.
And then, in the last half of the race (that’s the best I can do, there was very limited information about this stage) a group got away… without Annemiek van Vleuten, who was second in the General Classification! Would they stay away? It became nail-biting, especially as we had a pitiful level of information…. Watch the highlights to find out
I’ll add more videos as I see it, and if you don’t want spoilers, don’t scroll down, as it’s full of results, reports, tweets and more videos!
Stage 3 was the longest we’ve ever seen in a women’s stage race, at 151km long, and it always looked like it would be a battle between escapees and bunch sprint teams, especially with the finish, a long, swooping drag absolutely perfect for power sprinters. But with this year’s race being so unpredictable, what would happen?
I’ve got the highlights videos for you, then the rider for the Look Mum No Hands! Stage 4 #RiderResults competition, and then Stage 3 results, photos, reports and rider tweets for you. As always, I’ll add in more as I see it.
First, the 40 minute highlights from ITV4, available for the next 30 days (you may need a VPN to see these).
Highlights from the UCI and the race organisers:
This week we talk through the events in China at the Tour of Chongming Island. We catch up on Marianne Vos’ first win of the season. We take a look at the Women’s Tour of California (aka The Breakaway From Heart Disease Women’s Race presented by SRAM). We catch up on the latest news from BMX and we take a few minutes to reflect back on the last five years of podcasting. That’s right, it’s our FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSARY EPISODE! There’s plenty of good things (and a couple of things that induce ranty swearing) to remind ourselves of. There’s even time to play the “if I had a time machine and were insanely rich how would I help the sport” game (the rules are easier than the name). So strap yourselves in and enjoy! (54:57 MIN / 53.01 MB)
As usual, the post below includes things we talked about this week, but also videos, articles and links to things we didn’t get around to.
Listen to us here, or download directly from Soundcloud.
This week’s women’s cycling news, videos and links
This week’s racing
Tour of ChongMing Island
Short video highlights and full results
Copa de España #3, Emakumeen Aiztondo Sari Nargusia
Tour Series #1, Redditch
Other things we saw this week
The latest rider profile on the UCI YouTube – Chloe Hosking
Part of Dirt Magazine’s Bigger Slice of the British Pie MTB film:
A day in the life of British Team WNT
- Tour of Zhoushan Island 1, 10-12th May, China, UCI 2.1
- Tour Series #2, Stoke on Trent, 11th May, UK – follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4.
- 2017 Women’s WorldTour #10, Amgen Breakaway from Heart Disease Women’s Race empowered with SRAM, 11-14th May, USA. Follow on the #UCIWWT hashtag and with the race twitter. Here’s the guide to watching the highlights.
- Tour Series #3, Northwich, 12th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- 2017 Para-cycling Road World Cup #1, Maniago, 12-14th May, Italy – follow the UCI Paracycling twitter, and the #Paracycling2017 hashtag
- Rabobank 7-Dorpenomloop Aalburg aka the Marianne Vos Classic, 13th May, the Netherlands, UCI 1.2
- 2017 BMX Supercross World Cup #2, Heusden-Zolder, 13-14th May, the Netherlands – this will be streamed live on BMX Live TV, – streams for the Preview Show on Friday 12th, Day 1 on Saturday 13th and Day 2 on Sunday 14th, and more information on the race website.
- Lotto Cycling Cup #4, Dwars door de Westhoek, 14th May, Belgium, UCI 1.1. Check out the Lotto Cycling Cup twitter for more information.
- Durango-Durango Emakumeen Saria, 16th May, Spain, UCI 1.2. Follow on the race twitter.
- Tour Series #4, Wembley Park, 16th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- Iurreta-Emakumeen Bira, 17th-21st May, Spain, UCI 2.1. The last stage will be streamed live, maybe with daily highlights too and I’ll tell you how to watch nearer the time. Follow the excellent race twitter and the #Bira hashtag (that also has lots of photos of beer in it!).
- 2017 Para-cycling Road World Cup #2, Ostend, 18th-21st May, Belgium – follow the UCI Paracycling twitter, and the #Paracycling2017 hashtag
- Tour Series #5, Croydon, 18th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- 2017 Cross Country MTB World Cup #1, Nové Město na Moravě, 19th-21st May, Czech Republic. The women’s finals will be streamed live on Red Bull TV on 20th May and on the BIKE Channel in the UK, and I’ll put up more media nearer the time
- 2017 Trials World Cup #1, Aalter, 19th-21st May, Belgium
- Chrono de Gatineau ITT, 19th May, Canada, UCI 1.1. Race twitter and #ChronoGatineau
- GP de Gatineau Road Race, 20th May, Canada, UCI 1.1. Race twitter
- Salverda Omloop van de IJsseldelta, 20th May, the Netherlands, UCI 1.2
- Tour Series #6, Bath, 20th May, UK – domestic-level crit, follow on the race twitter and highlights on ITV 4
- SwissEver GP Cham-Hagendorn, 21st May, Switzerland UCI 1.2
To keep up with the road racing that will be shown live in 2017, bookmark my collection of races we can watch this year.
Big thanks to all of my Patreon supporters, who fund me to do all my women’s cycling work, including these round-up posts. You can join them here.
This week we revisit all of the excitement from the Women’s World Tour at the Ronde van Drenthe. There’s more great racing from Drentse 8 and Setmarna Ciclista Valenciana. On top of this we have several really good articles about ways to improve women’s cycling to discuss and there’s been some interesting news in regards to British Cycling, and Jeannie Longo’s husband Patrice Ciprelli. Of course we can’t finish on a downer so we also take note of some of the fun stuff we’ve seen around the web this week. As always, heaps of links and videos in the post on the website!
You can sign up for automated (and free!) updates from the iTunes store here or via our RSS feed here!
News and videos from the last week in women’s cycling
This week’s racing
Videos, photos and more from the excellent Ronde van Drenthe in this post here.