Stage 4 of the 2017 Giro Rosa was completely flat, and it looked guaranteed as a bunch sprint, with no change to the General Classification… but we all know how much the women’s peloton loves proving the scripts wrong! Plenty of attacks on the hot, windy day, but none were sticking.
And then, in the last half of the race (that’s the best I can do, there was very limited information about this stage) a group got away… without Annemiek van Vleuten, who was second in the General Classification! Would they stay away? It became nail-biting, especially as we had a pitiful level of information…. Watch the highlights to find out
I’ll add more videos as I see it, and if you don’t want spoilers, don’t scroll down, as it’s full of results, reports, tweets and more videos!
1. Jolien D’hoore (Bel) Wiggle High5, 2:42:04
2. Chloe Hosking (Aus) Alé Cipollini, s.t.
3. Coryn Rivera (USA) Sunweb, s.t.
4. Hannah Barnes (GBr) Canyon-SRAM, s.t.
5. Giorgia Bronzini (Ita) Wiggle High5, s.t.
6. Arlenis Sierra Cañadilla (Cub) Astana, s.t.
7. Annalisa Cucinotta (Ita) Lensworld-Kuota, s.t.
8. Claudia Cretti (Ita) Valcar PBM, s.t.
9. Amalie Dideriksen (Den) Boels-Dolmans, s.t.
10. Ilaria Sanguinetti (Ita) BePink Cogeas, s.t.
See how D’hoore felt after the race in Wiggle High5’s video:
Superb podium photos in the Sporza report – have a look!
And how did Chloe Hosking feel about that photofinish? (scroll down for the photos of that!) I loved her blog about the stage, especially about the point the race blew up.
So what exactly happened to Van Vleuten? There are comments in the ORICA-Scott race report, and in ORICA’s daily stage video.
Van Vleuten losing that time shook up the GC, with Megan Guarnier taking the intermediate Sprint bonus seconds, to move up too.
1. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Boels Dolmans, 8:36:25
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle High5), + 00:26
3. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, + 01:56
4. Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) ORICA-Scott, + 00:18
5. Amanda Spratt (Aus) ORICA-Scott, + 02:22
6. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) WM3 Procycling, + 02:37
7. Karol-Ann Canuel (Can) Boels-Dolmans, + 02:43
8. Lucinda Brand (Ned) Sunweb, + 02:59
9. Floortje Mackaij (Ned) Sunweb, + 03:02
10. Sabrina Stultiens (Ned) Sunweb, s.t.
Tomorrow’s Stage 5 could see the GC shake up again, with a 12.7km ITT. The profile looks pretty benign, but check out the hairpins on the stage map! It’s also described by the race as having hard climbs by the race, so I’m definitely predicting this as an Unless it’s the exact opposite! stage.
I mentioned this on twitter, and check this out
And there’s this:
The ITT will start at 12:10 CEST (11:10am UK BST, 6:10am USA EDT, 8:10pm Aus AEST) and it looks we’ll have livetiming on the FICR website – unless, we don’t, of course. Of course, we can also follow live in the usual ways.
More videos and media
The stage had to go to a photofinish that looked so close
I really loved this exchange after that photo
especially because yeah, check out the D’hoore’s track skills in this shot!