We’re fully into the cobbled classics section of the season and we’re a little bit excited. We recap the races of the last week, in particular Dwars door Vlaanderen and Gent-Wevelgem which were great and had captivating finishes. Then we take a look ahead at what to expect on this holiest of cycling Sundays, when the women hit the cobbles for Ronde van Vlaanderen. We also talk about the first round of the Enduro MTB racing in Rotorua, New Zealand. There’s the ABSA Cape Epic to catch up on and we also follow the India Pacific Wheel Race (even covering some of it live – sort of) where Sarah Hammond is third overall, and the riders have already covered 4,500km but still have about 1,000km to go. It’s an epic podcast for a week of epic racing! (1:32:23 MIN / 84.58 MB)
This week’s women’s cycling news and links
We really, really want to see the Ardennes Classics live – or at least see the finishes live! Please do take 5 minutes this week to contact the race organisers and tell them you do too – Sarah has links and advice about how to do this, in this post.
This week’s racing
Videos, links and media from the Elite, Junior and U17 Gent-Wevelgem
Enduro World Series 2017 #1, Giant Toa Enduro, Rotorua
Course preview and pre-race photo gallery on Pinkbike
Watch the rest of the race via the Curve Cycling hub
We’re really enjoying the social media out of the race – we really loved this Periscope video of Sarah Hammond arriving in Melbourne – please watch it, it’s great!
Juliana Buhring had to pull out of the race, sick – but decided to ride the full route again anyway!
Congratulations Anna Davies, setting a new Hour Record for the 50-54 women’s age group
Other things we saw this week
Sarah was interviewed about the Danish women’s cycling scene for DR.dk – this came from her interview with Danish women’s cycling team coach, and multiple World Champion, Catherine Marsal, which you can read and listen to.
Sarah also interviewed Isla Rowntree, who runs the amazing children’s bike company Islabikes, about her rôle in getting women’s cyclocross recognised in the UK and internationally, and on her current Imagine Project, to try to make bikes sustainable in a world of dwindling resources – listen to and read it here.
This week in WTAF Cycling???, Wolf Tooth Components decide they don’t want business from women, anyone LGB, and straight men who aren’t homophobic/sexist…
We need a palate cleanser…
Enduro rider Rae Morrison is back from injury
- Pajot Hills Classics, 29th March, Belgium, UCI 1.2 – follow live via #PajotHills
- Joe Martin Stage Race p/b Nature Valley, 30th March-2nd April, USA, UCI 2.2 – follow the race twitter and the #JMSR hashtag
- BMX European Cup, rounds 1 & 2, 1st-2nd April, Belgium – live streams for the morning 1st and the evening, and for the morning of the 2nd and the evening.
- UCI WWT #5 Ronde van Vlaanderen, 2nd April, Belgium – Sarah’s guide to watching the race.
- Grand Prix des Dottignies, 3rd April, Belgium, UCI 1.2
- Healthy Ageing Tour UCI 2.2 elite and junior Nations Cup #3 stage races, 5-9th April, the Netherlands – Sarah will be at the race, working on the social media team, and will have a guide to watching live up very soon.
- Women’s Tour of Thailand, 8-10th April, UCI 2.1
To keep up with the road racing that will be shown live in 2017, bookmark Sarah’s collection of races we can watch this year.
Big thanks to all of Sarah’s Patreon supporters, who fund her to do all her women’s cycling work, including these round-up posts. You can join them here!