This week we catch up on all the attacks (so many attacks!) from Trofeo Moreno and Trofeo Binda last weekend. You know racing is intense when top riders are gunning it on the front just to settle down the sheer number of attacks! The Dwars Door Vlaanderen started while we were recording, so we give that a moment’s consideration and also take a look ahead at Gent-Wevelgem on this weekend. There’s a heap of cool media and some epic races including the ABSA Cape Epic and the Indian-Pacific Wheel Race; and of course heaps more! (1:21:45 MIN / 74.85 MB)
You can sign up for automated and free downloads via the iTunes store here or via our RSS feed here.
This week’s women’s cycling news and links round-up
It’s Mothers’ Day this weekend in the UK, so if there’s a cycling-loving mum in your life, check out the Shopping section of the site for things we’ve seen and liked – how about a 2017 WorldTour team kit, or presents that help pro women cyclists, or everyday women’s cycling? Yes, I know, you might not have ordered in time, but you can always order something and give her a card saying something’s on the way!
This week’s racing
- Prologue – full stream replay. Highlights:
- Stage 3 – full stream replay
Jenny Rissveds on racing in the Mixed category, and how she recovers
As Dan mentioned, the first Indian Pacific Wheel Race is on in Australia. They’re providing (so far) daily race updates on the official blog and there is a mailing list you can subscribe to for updates. There’s also the obligatory Twitter race hashtag.
More things we saw this week
It’s always Shirt Week with us, but check out two great ex-pro cyclist-made cycling kit companies – Iris Slappendel‘s brand new I Ride In Style, and the 2017 collection from Velocio.cc, both of which sell cycling kit (and more!) for women and men.
This Morvélo film-ette is an advert, but wow, it’s fun
Speaking of great marketing, Sarah’s in love with the Juliana Bicycles‘ sponsored free rides/days at the Enduro World Series – she talks more about them, how other disciplines could learn from them, and the Enduro World Series in general, over here.
MTB media is always really good at selling the sport – here’s some things from this week:
Downhiller Miranda Miller talks injury, recovery, community and more
Polygon UR‘s 2017 team promo
More MTB – from Pinkbike:
- interview with MTB guide Emily Slaco
- Angie Hohenwarter signs with Propain Bikes
- 2016 Retrospective (with amazing photos and adventures) from the Trek Gravity Girls.
This is a really nice UCI story: the UCI World Cycling Centre donates bikes for African Continental Track Championships
Some fun tweets from this week:
Sarah’s podcast interview with the first ever Junior Road World Champion, and first to be Junior and Elite World Champ, Catherine Marsal – on her amazing life in cycling, including racing with/against Jeannie Longo, and her current rôle as the coach/manager of the Danish National Team’s women’s road team, with of course a lot about how successful the Danes have been, since Amalie Dideriksen won the 2016 Road World Championships, into 2017.
If you don’t like podcasts (!!) then Sarah’s written up part of the interview as well, over here.
How to look pro, like Rochelle Gilmore:
- Absa Cape Epic MTB stage race, 19th-28th March, South Africa – here’s how to watch & follow the race live, and find out lots more
- Dwars door Vlaanderen, 22nd March, Belgium, UCI 1.1 – preview on Cyclingnews. The women’s Dwars door Vlaanderen won’t have a livestream, but follow the race with whatever hashtag the race twitter uses, and of course, Sarah’s twitterlist. Check out the great course details page on the race website. The race starts at 12:55 Euro CET (11:55 UK GMT; 7:55am USA EDT; 10:55pm Aus AEST) and is due to finiesh around 2h 45m later
- Enduro World Series #1, Giant Toa Enduro, 25-26th March, New Zealand – there will be tons of live updates and media on the EWS website
- UCI WWT #4 Gent-Wevelgem elite and junior Nations Cup #2 and U17 races, 26th March, Belgium – they won’t be live, check out Sarah’s guide to watching & following the race.
- Pajot Hills Classics, 29th March, Belgium, UCI 1.2
- Joe Martin Stage Race p/b Nature Valley, 30th March-2nd April, USA, UCI 2.2
- UCI WWT #5 Ronde van Vlaanderen, 2nd April, Belgium
- Grand Prix des Dottignies, 3rd April, Belgium, UCI 1.2
- Healthy Ageing Tour UCI 2.2 elite and junior Nations Cup #3 stage races, 5-9th April, the Netherlands – Sarah will be at the race, working on the social media team
- Women’s Tour of Thailand, 8-10th April, UCI 2.1
To keep up with the road racing that will be shown live in 2017, bookmark Sarah’s collection of races we can watch this year.
Big thanks to all of Sarah’s Patreon supporters, who fund her to do all her women’s cycling work, including these round-up posts. You can join them here!