We’re eventually going to see all the Olympic bike races put up on the Olympics Youtube, but until then, here’s what we can watch from the Rio 2016 women’s cycling – road race, ITT, track, BMX and MTB, with various other bits and pieces I’ve found.
If you want to compare and contrast what happened in Rio with previous Olympics, head to the Olympic Channel, where you can search by sport, and under the Rio 2016 videos, you’ll find highlights from previous years too.
A lot of the Olympic media is geo-restricted to countries (INRNG tells you more about restrictions, and how to see things despite them), so if there’s more you want to see, do try searching with your country’s broadcaster – I’ve added the BBC links because I can see them all from the UK, but hopefully you can find them in your country too. If there’s anything you especially enjoyed, please do tell me, and I’ll edit it in.
Anna van der Breggen talks about it in this InCycle TV interview:
Full results, and more Road race media:
- NOS (Dutch) Van der Breggen interview – and more clips at the bottom of the page, including highlights, medal ceremony, post-medals interview, responses from Vos and Van Dijk, Vos playing domestique, and clip about the awful Van Vleuten crash (it’s traumatic)
- the full women’s & men’s ITT is available on the BBC iPlayer until 20th September, geo-restricted to the UK ; BBC Brit-focused report, with the final kilometre highlights
- Sporza’s clips from Belgium: Highlights and Van der Breggen’s post-race response (may not be restricted) – and more videos down the side of the page, includinghighlights, Van der Breggen talking about Johansson, post-race responses from Kopecky and Vekemans,
- SBS Video with reactions from the Australians
- More clips in Ella Cycling Tips‘ post-race piece
The full women’s & men’s ITT is available on the BBC iPlayer until 20th September, geo-restricted to the UK, and some more snippets:
- Highlights on the NBC Olympics site (USA only)
- Various clips from Sporza (geo-restricted to Belgium), including Van Dijk going off-course
- NOS highlights, with various video clips and their Van der Breggen pieces (restricted to NL)
- BBC video profile (may be geo-restricted)
- Post-race videointerview with winner Kristin Armstrong on the New York Times (unrestricted)
Sooooooo much track! All the BBC iPlayer programmes are here, available until around 20th September, geo-restricted to the UK. Results via the title links.
Highlights of Gong Jinjie and Zhong Tianshi winning, on the Olympic Channel – and more on the Olympic YT:
If you only watch one Track video, you absolutely have to make it Laurine van Riessen‘s incredible crash-avoidance skills – riding ON the barrier, which is something I’ve never even imagined, let alone seen! The clips are all restricted – here are some from NOS (NL), Sporza (Belgium), BBC (UK) – but google her name plus your country’s Olympic broadcaster, and you’ll find some!
Unrestricted video of the final on the Olympic Channel.
There are tons of restricted videos from NOS, focusing on winner Elis Ligtlee, but including other riders, the BBC, focusing on Becky James‘ silver, and this Olympics video, following Anna Meares to bronze, includes the final:
6 separate races in the omnium, and I hope we get clips of them all – but in the mean time, here’s the final round, the Points race
Laura Trott had a fantastic Olympics, coming away with two golds – here’s an Olympic YT
And clip on YT:
Hopefully more things will turn up after the first month, and hopefully we can see it all on YT, and I can add it all here. So many amazing moments to re-live! And if you’ve seen more media you’d like to share, please do add it to the comments, or send it to me on twitter.
I’m funded to do this kind of thing by my wonderful Patreon supporters, who help me cover women’s cycling by giving me as little as £/$/€ 2 a month – thanks so much!