The last MTB World Cup of 2016, and the Downhill and Cross Country riders come together for one final bash, before the DH World Champs next weekend. We’ve in the mountains of Andorra, in Vallnord, and of course, this being MTB, we can watch it live, AND have a ton of media beforehand. I’ll tell you how to watch first, and then check out the pre-race awesome, which I’ll be adding to every day before the races.
So, Vallnord. There’s all the programme information, course maps, startlists etc on the great race website, and the current World Cup standings on the UCI World Cup portal, and what you’re really interested in, the Downhill finals and XCo races will be streamed on Red Bull TV, although I should warn you, sometimes these are streamed on a delay, so keep off social media if you want the results to be a surprise until you’ve seen them! If you miss the races live you’ll be able to watch here after the races too.
- Women’s & men’s Downhill Finals, Saturday 3rd September, from 14:30 Euro CEST (1:30pm UK BST; 10:30pm Australian AEST; 8:30am North American EDT)
- Women’s Cross Country, Sunday 4th Sept, 11:00 CEST (10am BST; 7pm AEST, 5am EDT)
- Men’s Cross Country, Sunday 4th Sept, 14:00 CEST (1pm BST; 10pm AEST, 8am EDT)
So, what’s gone on so far?
If you know me, you know I’m a huge sucker for Claudio Caluori‘s GoPro previews of the Downhill World Cup courses, but I never thought he’d do one on a tandem! Even once they get off, I love Claudio and Loïc Bruni together – watch here on Red Bull Bike – definitely that giddy end-of-season feeling about this one, and I know MTB always happens in gorgeous places, so I say this everytime, but WOW those mountains!
- Downhill Track Walk photo-essays on Dirt MTB, Pinkbike and Specialized
- Downhill practice day – video and photos on Red Bull Bike (love the look of the clouds of dust that follow the riders through the corners!); photo-essays on PinkBike and on Dirt; video on Dirt MTB; video from Trek Factory Racing – with Rachel Atherton’s back issues, and Taylor Vernon’s broken nose
- D0wnhill Qualifying video & photos from Red Bull Bike, including Tahnée Seagrave’s GoPro from her run, and crash (hope she can start); photo essays on Pinkbike, and on Dirt MTB; and video from the Trek Factory Racing’s bad day:
Bikecam previews of the XCo course with Worlds silver medalist Lea Davison and ex-DH star and Red Bull TV commentator Rob Warner, on Red Bull Bike (it’s hilarious, I laughed a lot!), with a more serious one if you scroll down after you’ve watched it – and another serious one in this video from the Trek Factory Racing team:
- Cross Country bike joy, with galleries and specs of 2016 World Champion Annika Langvad’s Specialized Era 29 and Emily Batty’s Trek Top Fuel, as seen at Vallnord, by Pinkbike.
Check out all those sites for more media throughout the week – and I’ll be adding in more every day. Of course I’ll have post-race media here on the site after the weekend.
Big thanks to my Patreon supporters, who fund me to do this kind of thing.