Videos, photos and more from the 2016 GP de Plouay
The penultimate round of the UCI Women’s WorldTour, and the last of the WorldTour Classics, the GP Plouay has always been a fantastic race, with really great media, and 2016 lived up to expectations – with a surprise winner to boot! I’ll edit more in as I see them – please do share anything else you find, in the comments, or on twitter.
Full stream replay:
1. Eugenia Bujak (Pol) BTC City Ljubljana, 3:12:31
2. Elena Cecchini (Ita) Canyon-SRAM, s.t.
3. Joëlle Numainville (Can) Cervélo Bigla, s.t.
4. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
5. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, s.t.
6. Leah Kirchmann (Can) Liv-Plantur, s.t.
7. Carmen Small (USA) Cylance, s.t.
8. Katrin Garfoot (Aus) ORICA-AIS, s.t.
9. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle High5, s.t.
10. Alena Amialiusik (Blr) Canyon-SRAM, s.t.
Surprise win, for sure – BUT it was fascinating because that’s a tough uphill finish, and Eugenia Bujak made the brave move of starting her sprint early, while everyone else was looking at each other, and it paid off! Some people are saying “It shouldn’t be a surprise, because she won Route de France stages recently”, but you can’t compare RdF to a WorldTour race… But I am super-happy for Bujak and BTC City Ljubljana, because they always, always attack and try things, and one day it was bound to work at this level. They’re a tiny squad, a development team set up to help Slovenian and Eastern European women race, and this is by far their, and Bujak’s, biggest win by a long, long way.
Plus I’m super-happy for Polish women’s cycling writers, like Paweł:
Season-end races also mean retirements…
I’ll update this with more media as I see it – and of course, please share anything you have seen so I can edit it in – pop it in the comments, or tweet me.
Big thanks to my Patreon supporters, who fund me to do this kind of work.