Stage 9 of the Giro Rosa was always going to be beautiful, running around the shores of Lago Maggiore in northern Italy (check out the video recon on the race facebook), but we also knew it was going to be a tough way to finish the race. Hardened Giro Rosa-watchers know that even though the profile looks like this…
The actual roads will be anything but benign! An early breakaway group of 9: Charlotte Bravard (Poitou Charentes Futuroscope.86), Maria Giulia Confalonieri (Lensworld-Zannata), Ingrid Drexel (Astana), Sheyla Guitierrez Ruíz (Cylance), Mayuko Hagiwara (Wiggle-High5), Thalita de Jong (Rabo-liv), Lauren Kitchen (Hitec Products), Riejanne Markus (Liv-Plantur) and Ane Santeseteban Gonzalez (Alé Cipollini)
The break were allowed to spend 2 laps out together, as they had no GC threats – but with the GPM approaching, the bunch behind started to speed up, and their lead of around 5 minutes began dropping fast – so break riders started to attack. Would the break survive? And would any GC contenders try to attack?
Videos, photos and race reports from the stage below – as always, I’ll be editing more things in as I see them, so do leave me a comment, or tweet me, if there’s anything I’ve missed.
More Italian video – 15 mins on the race facebook.
1. Thalita de Jong (Ned) Rabo-liv, 2:44:24
2. Riejanne Markus (Ned) Liv-Plantur, + 01:05
3. Maria Giulia Confalonieri (Ita) Lensworld Zannata, s.t.
4. Ingrid Drexel (Mex) Astana, s.t.
5. Ane Santesteban Gonzalez (Esp) Alé Cipollini, s.t.
6. Mayuko Hagiwara (Jpn) Wiggle High5, s.t.
7. Sheyla Gutierrez Ruíz (Esp) Cylance, + 01:54
8. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, + 01:57
9. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, s.t.
10. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
I’m really interested in that group 1:57 back – I’m imagining tons of attacks, wish we saw this stage (and all of them!) live.
1. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, 22:42:40
2. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Boels-Dolmans, + 00:34
3. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 01:53
4. Claudia Lichtenberg (Ger) Lotto-Soudal, + 02:33
5. Mara Abbott (USA) Wiggle High5, + 02:38
6. Tatiana Guderzo (Ita) Hitec Products, + 03:05
7. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, + 06:48
8. Leah Kirchmann (Can) Liv-Plantur, + 15:17
9. Alena Amialiusik (Blr) Canyon-SRAM, + 16:18
10. Kseniya Tuhai (Blr) BePink, + 16:20
No real changes to the GC – although Mara Abbott lost 33″ today and was overtaken by Claudia Lichtenberg, and the last 3 all lost more time again.
Videos of Argentinian team Xirayas de San Luís on the Tour Femenino de San Luís Youtube, the first South American team ever to be invited to the Giro!
Shorter RAI highlights:
View this post on Instagram
Survived my first #GiroRosa, finishing 8th overall in GC! Huge thanks to my #LivPlantur teammies & staff for working so hard to make this race a success. It's amazing how fast 10 days of racing can fly by. A win, day in the maglia rosa, 3x crashes & podium spot on final stage for teammate @riejannee certainly made for a memorable race! #Teamwork #actuallyican #livbeyond #keepchallenging #cycling #happinesswatts #Italy
I will never get bored of the photos of riders throwing themselves into lakes, sea and ocean after hot stages…
…or of the traditional post-Giro gelato photos!
The win here extends Guarnier’s lead in the Women’s WorldTour:
Here are the daily TV stats for who watched the Stage 8 highlights on RAI yesterday
and for the final Stage 9 show:
Huge, massive thanks to all my wonderful Patreon supporters, who funded me to cover the race – I can’t thank you enough!