It’s been a tough few days for the sprinters, with all those mountains and then a climbing ITT – but today’s Stage 8 was flat, and perfect for the sprint teams… on paper! It ended with a small loop, and a technical finish – Felix Mattis rode the finishing run-in with a camera on his bike – watch it on facebook.
And in that typically women’s cycling style, just because it suited sprint teams on paper, doesn’t mean the peloton were going to let it play out for them. Even though it was a very fast day, with lots of attacks that were caught, a group of nine got away before the midpoint GPM – Alena Amialiusik (Canyon-SRAM), Lauren Kitchen (Hitec), Audrey Cordon-Ragot (Wiggle High5), Lex Albrecht (BePink), Małgorzata Jasińska (Alé Cipollini), Anna Ceoloni (Servetto-Footon), Ana Maria Covrig (Astana), Riejanne Markus (Liv-Plantur) and maybe 1 more rider (it was that kind of live-tweeting day).
With no riders from Rabo-liv, Lotto Soudal and Boels-Dolmans, there were big names to chase… but with no one anywhere near a threat, Boels weren’t bothered… so the group got tantalisingly close to the line, especially when Jasinska, Covrig and Ceoloni escaped with Rozanne Slik or Liv and it to less than 5k to go – could they make it all the way?
Find out in the videos, photos and other media from the stage – and I’ll be editing in more media as I see it – tweet me, or leave a comment if you find things I’ve missed. You can find my previous collections of videos from the race under my Giro Rosa 2016 tag.
Video highlights on the race website – and here’s what RAI gave us:
1. Giorgia Bronzini (Ita) Wiggle High5, 2:28:48
2. Marta Bastianelli (Ita) Alé Cipollini, s.t.
3. Maria Giulia Confalonieri (Ita) Lensworld Zannata, s.t.
4. Michela Pavin (Ita) Inpa-Bianchi, s.t.
5. Lucinda Brand (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
6. Roxane Fournier (Fra) Poitou-Charentes.Futuroscope.86, s.t.
7. Tiffany Cromwell (Aus) Canyon-SRAM, s.t.
8. Ilaria Sanguineti (Ita) BePink, s.t.
9. Sheyla Gutierrez Ruíz (Esp) Cylance, s.t.
10. Lauren Kitchen (Aus) Hitec Products, s.t.
The bunchsprint was perfect for Boels, who just had to stay safe, so no change to GC
1. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, 19:56:19
2. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Boels-Dolmans, + 00:34
3. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 01:53
4. Mara Abbott (USA) Wiggle High5, + 02:07
5. Claudia Lichtenberg (Ger) Lotto-Soudal, + 02:33
6. Tatiana Guderzo (Ita) Hitec Products, + 03:05
7. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, + 06:48
8. Leah Kirchmann (Can) Liv-Plantur, + 13:42
9. Alena Amialiusik (Blr) Canyon-SRAM, + 13:53
10. Kseniya Tuhai (Blr) BePink, + 14:45
Videos of Argentinian team Xirayas de San Luís on the Tour Femenino de San Luís Youtube, and Lointek’s video from the team presentation
Nasty-looking crash for poor Leah Kirchmann, but
I’m so jealous of all the places the peloton to get swim after stages…
Heal fast, Charlotte Becker
All that's left, after some lowlife broke into out car this morning and took everything, except for the empty water bottles and some rubbush. Without the help of @felixmattis and Owen Rogers, we'd have been really screwed – thanks for bailing us out! At the end of the day, though, it's just money, that's what's insurance is for, there are a lot worse things happening elsewhere than this.
Gutted for them – they work so, so hard, and brought us such beautiful images all race. They lost their passports, laptops and all cameras, and all their luggage – devastating to photographers.
As is now traditional, we have the viewing figures for Stage 7 ITT from RAI 9this is just who watched at the time, doesn’t include people recording & watching later):
One more stage tomorrow, on Elisa Longo Borghini‘s home roads – so although the race profile makes it look sprinty, watch out for the escape artists… and especially ELB! And of course, there’s that disconnect between what the roadbook says, and what will be raced…
Please do let me know, here in the comments or on twitter, if you find more media to share – and here’s my reminder of how to follow the race live. Big huge thanks to my Patreon supporters, who enable me to do this kind of work – join them over here.