Rain forest racing – video, photos & more from the 2016 Cairns MTB World Cup
One of the things that made me fall in love with Mountain Bike was getting to see all these extraordinary landscapes, all over the world – and the Cairns round is incredible. It’s in the Australian rainforest, with all the snakes, spiders, stinging-trees and difficult conditions that comes with that – although this year it was damp, rather than 2014’s torrential (for the women, at least!). But beautiful! And the other reason I fell so hard for the sport is that the media is fantastic. Here’s my collection of videos, photos and more fun stuff from the 2016 Downhill Round 2, and first Cross Country World Cup of 2016.
Downhill World Cup #2
Let’s start with the amazing Red Bull Bike coverage – we can watch the full race replay (top 6 women, and top 20 men) over here. I love the winner’s interview (no spoilers!) around the 33:15 mark – and I really love the Red Bull video highlights too.
There’s more highlights here:
But there’s so much more!
1. Rachel Atherton (GBr) Trek Factory Racing, 0:03:48.566
2. Tracey Hannah (Aus) Polygon UR, + 07.098
3. Manon Carpenter (GBr) Madison Saracen, + 09.806
4. Tahnée Seagrave (GBr) Transition Factory Racing, + 13.020
5. Morgane Charre (Fra) Bergamot Hayes, + 19.845
6. Eleonora Farina (Ita) + 31.609
7. Carina Cappellari (Sui) Radon Magura, + 34.761
8. Emilie Siegenthaler (Sui) Pivot Factory Racing, + 35.442
9. Danielle Beecroft (Aus) + 36.416
10. Alanna Columb (NZl) + 40.040
There’s a really interesting post-race quote from Atherton in this slideshow from Vital MTB, where Sven Martin basically suggest winning’s easy because there’s not much competition. Atherton does NOT subscribe to this view, and while the question, and the fact Martin says he was trying to rile her up, enrages me, I give him huge credit for including it, when he’s clearly taken to task – a lot of journalists wouldn’t.
Polygon UR’s video, with Tracey Hannah’s bittersweet second place
- Course video preview with the awesome Claudio Caluori, on Red Bull Bike – I love these so much
- TrackWalk photo galleries on Dirt MTB and PinkBike
- Practice day video on Red Bull Bike, slideshow on Vital MTB, and photo galleries on Dirt and PinkBike – and the Trek Factory Racing video from the Practice day
- Qualifying video on Dirt and Red Bull Bike; slideshow on Vital MTB; photo galleries on Dirt MTB and PinkBike – and Trek Factory Racing video, with Rach Atherton’s hemetcam.
Cross Country #1
Here’s the full race replay, including all the usual great pre-race info, and post-race interviews. And highlights from the UCI
1. Annika Langvad (Den) Specialized, 1:28:41
2. Linda Indergand (Sui) Focus XC, + 00:10
3. Rebecca Henderson (Aus) Trek Factory Racing, + 00:52
4. Catharine Pendrel (Can) Luna Pro Team, + 01:14
5. Sabine Spitz (Ger) + 01:24
6. Helen Grobert (Ger) Ghost Factory Racing, + 01:41
7. Emily Batty (Can) Trek Factory Racing, + 02:44
8. Kathrin Stirnemann (Sui) Haibike Oetzal, + 02:47
9. Jenny Rissveds (Swe) Scott-Odlo, + 03:09
10. Katerina Nash (Cze) Luna Pro Team, + 03:23
Photos from Specialized – with winners in the elite women, and U23 women’s and men’s races, they were definitely the team of Cairns! More photo galleries from Red Bull Bike and Pink Bike. And a gallery from the DH and XCo on the UCI website.
Interview with 4th-placed Catharine Pendrel
1. Kate Courtney, USA, 1:15:21
2. Catherine Fleury, Canada, 1:18:56
3. Olga Terentyeva, Russia, 1:19:46
4. Andrea Waldis, Switzerland, 1:20:43
5. Holly Harris, Australia, 1:21:48
6. Frederique Trudel, Canada
7. Hannah Grobert, Germany
8. Chantal Eheim, Switzerland
9. Takaho Nakashima, Japan
Interview with second-placed Catherine Fleury
Please do share anything you see, either in the comments or on twitter, and I’ll edit them in.
As always, I’m funded to do this kind of thing by my wonderful Patreon supporters – you can join them here from as little as £/€/$ 2 a month, which would make me very happy, and help me do even more!