Oh Flèche Wallonne Femmes, why do you do this to me? 5 years ago I could watch the finish live in the men’s race – even last year the UCI gave us 26 mins highlights… It’s one of my very favourite races, it’s always got such an exciting second half, it’s MADE for TV… and this is what we got, shown in the men’s race 25 mins after the women had finished…
BUT! “The glass is half-full” is my 2016 women’s cycling mantra, so let’s focus on the positives. It was an amazing race, and we have some highlights, and the usual photo galleries and race reports. As ever, I’ll edit more in as and when I see them – and please do share anything you see with me, either in the comments, or on twitter.
Let’s start with video highlights – 5m geo-restricted clip from Sporza, and NOS Sport have some clips and winner interview. Here’s the Sporza clip mysteriously transposed to YT, and the UCI 12 minutes highlights
1. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, 3:50:36
2. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Boels-Dolmans, + 00:08
3. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels-Dolmans, + 00:22
4. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, + 00:23
5. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle High5, + 00:25
6. Alena Amialiusik (Blr) Canyon-SRAM, + 00:38
7. Emma Johansson (Swe) Wiggle High5, + 00:43
8. Katrin Garfoot (Aus) ORICA-AIS, + 00:45
9. Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabo-liv, + 00:48
10. Jolanda Neff (Swi) Servetto-Footon, s.t.
Here’s another Sporza interview, with Marianne Vos, on her 9th place, and hopes for Rio (Dutch). This is pretty much what she says though – and means it too:
Race video from Wiggle High5, and Voxwomen’s little highlights
And some tweetery:
I’m funded to do this kind of work by my wonderful Patreon supporters, who you can join here.