Such a huge opening weekend to the 2016 Road season – and we have videos, photos and more media from the races, and from Evelyn Stevens breaking the UCI Hour Record in Colorado.
As usual, there’s very little to see of the women’s Omloop het Nieuwsblad, which is a huge shame as it sounds like a great race. What we do have is a short highlights video from Sporza, with interview with winner Lizzie Armitstead at the end. And here’s another interview with Armitstead from Felix Mattis:
Lizzie’s friend and training partner Tiffany Cromwell came third:
1. Lizzie Armitstead (GBr) Boels-Dolmans, 3:23:05
2. Chantal Blaak (Ned) Boels-Dolmans, + 00:29
3. Tiffany Cromwell (Aus) Canyon-SRAM, s.t.
4. Leah Kirchmann (Can) Liv-Plantur, s.t.
5. Shelley Olds (USA) Cylance, s.t.
6. Lucinda Brand (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
7. Chloe Hosking (Aus) Wiggle-High5, s.t.
8. Susanna Zorzi (Ita) Lotto-Soudal, s.t.
9. Carmen Small (USA) Cervélo-Bigla, s.t.
10. Emma Johansson (Swe) Wiggle-High5, s.t.
Race reports from Boels-Dolmans, Liv-Plantur, Rabo-Liv, Cervélo Bigla and ORICA-AIS – and photo galleries from Boels and Cervélo. There’s also a race report and photo gallery about Canyon-SRAM on the Rapha website, in their own particular style.
ORICA-AIS rider Sarah Roy finished in the second big group, and talks about her race:
Gutted for Ellen van Dijk…
Evelyn Stevens’ Hour Record
There’s a short highlights clip, and the full hour replay, here on the USA Cycling livestream.
9 year old Abby Henderson interview Evie after the Hour:
Because it’s a Belgian race, this one has two names – it’s also known as Tielt-Winge. And the Lotto Cycling Cup has always has great media, but this year it’s excelled itself, as the race was streamed live! You can watch the full race replay on livestream (with that great musical accompaniment) and their fantastic 18 mins highlights, all made by the wonderful Motomedia team.
1. Marta Bastianelli (Ita) Alé Cipollini, 3:29:08
2. Leah Kirchmann (Can) Liv-Plantur, s.t.
3. Lotta Lepistö (Fin) Cervélo-Bigla, s.t.
4. Shelley Olds (USA) Cylance, s.t.
5. Lucinda Brand (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
6. Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) ORICA-AIS, s.t.
7. Sarah Roy (Aus) ORICA-AIS, s.t.
8. Jip van den Bos (Ned) Parkhotel Valkenburg, s.t.
9. Romy Kasper (Ger) Boels-Dolmans, s.t.
10. Tiffany Cromwell (Aus) Canyon-SRAM, s.t.
Volevo ringraziare tutta la mia squadra a partire dalle mie compagne,poi il personale a partire dal direttore,i massaggiatori e i meccanici che dietro le quinte svolgono sempre un gran lavoro,ma sopratutto volevo ringraziare chi ci permette di alzare le mani e toglierci tante soddisfazioni che coronano tutti i sacrifici 😊 la nostra presidentessa Alessia … Si torna in Italia con un bel sorriso 🙃 … Grazie di cuore a tutti ❤️ @piccolo_ale @martatagliaferro @dalia_muccioli @martialzi13 @emiliafahlin @jasinska Malgorzata @Nico @Gigi @Alex @Fortu senza dimenticare le mie #Fiamme Azzurre
Felix also talked to Gracie Elvin about attacking all weekend:
I’m funded to do this kind of women’s cycling work thanks to my wonderful Patreon supporters – thank you so much! If you want to join them from just £1.50/$2 a month, there’s more information here.