Videos & more from 2016 Ladies Tour of Qatar Stage 3
Yesterday’s Stage 2 of the Ladies Tour of Qatar was a masterclass in why we love this race, but today’s Stage 3 showed us another, equally fabulous, way to race it, with the winds getting over 40 kph, and the first breakaway going at kilometre 3! Just so much excitement, and it’s even better because we get to see the race as it happens, and then get a ton of media to love after each stage. Here’s my collection of video, photos, reports and more – and if you see things I’ve missed, please do tell me in the comments or on twitter.
Tomorrow’s the final stage, and if you, like me, can’t wait to watch it, here’s my guide.
I have about 100 favourite riders, all equal, but one of my (100) favourite things about women’s cycling is watching Ellen van Dijk attack (like this!). She talks about how that went, and about winning
1. Ellen van Dijk (Ned) Boels Dolmans, 2:48:56
2. Kirsten Wild (Ned) Hitec Products, + 00:07
3. Lauretta Hanson (Aus) Australia, s.t.
4. Anouska Koster (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
5. Trixi Worrack (Ger) Canyon-SRAM, + 00:08
6. Gracie Elvin (Aus) ORICA-AIS, + 00:11
7. Tiffany Cromwell (Aus) Canyon-SRAM, + 00:13
8. Romy Kasper (Ger) Boels Dolmans, + 00:19
9. Shelley Olds (USA) Cylance, + 00:24
10. Christine Majerus (Lux) Boels Dolmans, + 00:45
Trixi Worrack became the third GC leader in three days, and talks about that
General Classification after Stage 3
1. Trixi Worrack (Ger) Canyon-SRAM, 8:15:28
2. Romy Kasper (Ger) Boels Dolmans, + 00:17
3. Ellen van Dijk (Ned) Boels Dolmans, + 00:31
4. Katrin Garfoot (Aus) ORICA-AIS, + 00:34
5. Gracie Elvin (Aus) ORICA-AIS, + 00:50
6. Amy Pieters (Ned) Wiggle High5, + 00:53
7. Tiffany Cromwell (Aus) Canyon-SRAM, + 00:56
8. Lauretta Hanson (Aus) Australia, + 01:32
9. Anouska Koster (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 01:34
10. Chloe Hosking (Aus) Wiggle High5, + 01:42
Great race photos from Vélofocus. More photos and stage report on the race site, and race reports from Boels Dolmans, ORICA-AIS and Rabo-liv. Race video from Wiggle High5, with a very interesting team meeting – very honest, Egon van Kessel telling the team that it was the biggest disaster since he’s been in the team, and the team discussing what went wrong
Riders are not being shy about how damn hard it was today. Chloe Hosking’s race diary on Ella Cycling Tips is particularly good about her “worst day in the desert ever”, as is Annemiek van Vleuten’s blog – and check out the social media:
I have to admit, there will never be enough photos of riders with camels for me, never! So I’m so happy about the rider, team and race social media today!
More race video – love the Wiggle chat with Eddy, but I wish the music wasn’t so loud😦
As always, I am incredibly grateful to the wonderful people who pay me on Patreon to do this kind of women’s cycling work. How lucky am I?