Sarah interviews… Helen Wyman
The cyclocross season has officially begun, so it’s time for my now-traditional interview with the wonderful Helen Wyman. We talk about the first Cyclocross World Cup of 2015/6, Cross Vegas, the first big cyclocross drama of the season, the interpretation of the UCI feeding rules at Ellison Park CX, and her collaboration with Velocio.cc to create a gorgeous cycling kit. But we don’t stop there – there’s her role on the UCI CX Commission, the new u23 women’s Worlds category the impact the changes in the last few years have had on the sport, and tons more. I could always talk to Helen for hours, so this is a long one!
To find out more about Helen, check out her website and her page on the Kona team website, follow her twitter and like her facebook page. And check out her cycling kit collaboration with Velocio.cc – look out the the new items, including men’s kit, that are still to come, as well as the existing women’s kit.
As well as Cross Vegas, Helen will be racing USA ‘cross the Midnight Ride in Lancaster MA on 24th September and the Grand Prix of Gloucester (MA) weekend on 26th & 27th September – if you’d like to go to her cyclocross workshops at the Midnight Ride, on 22nd and 23rd September, here’s where you can sign up.
You can find the details of the other three big cyclocross series via these links: the World Cup, the Superprestige and the bpost bank trofee (still the 2014/15 site, but likely updated soon) and the full UCI CX Calender is on their site. There’s more about the new U23 women’s category at Worlds on the UCI site too, and if you want to watch and follow this year’s women’s CX in Europe and the USA , here’s my 2014/5 guide, which I’ll update nearer the Euro season start.
If you want to check out my previous interviews with Helen, they’re here:
- my last written interview with her from January 2015,on Podium Café, before Worlds
- Podium Café interview about how she helped get equal prize money for women at the 2014 Koppenbergcross
- Podcasts with her in October 2014 on her work towards equality, the differences in European and USA CX, and much more – Part 1 and Part 2
- Her preview of the 2014 Cyclocross World Championships for Podium Café,
- Dan and I interviewed her on our women’s cycling podcast in November 2013 and in December 2012
- Podium Café interviews from start of October 2011, on her USA trip, then later that month when she won the Koppenbergcross for the first time 2011– and you can see the “crayon” drawings she did for the Café here and here.
- My first ever interview with her, on Podium Café in October 2010,
I’m funded to do these interviews by my wonderful Patreon supporters – thank you so much! If anyone would like to join them, for as little as $1 a month, click here.