There’s been SO MUCH racing this last week, all over the world, in so many disciplines.
On the road we had the Cresent Vårgårda World Cup in Sweden, the USA Pro Challenge and the Sam Miranda Tour of the King Valley in Australia. In MTB it was the Four Cross World Championships and the final rounds of the MTB World Cups in Val di Sole. And over in Kazakhstan it was the Junior Track World Championships – and there’s (so much!) video, photos & news about all of it. Grab a coffee/fire up the trainer/open a beer etc, and get ready for some really great cycling!
Let’s start with the World Cups, move through the World Championships and then hit the stage racing…
The road race on Sunday was in beautiful sunshine, and a new-ish course. You can watch the full race replay here on the UCI Youtube, and there are highlights and team videos below:
1. Jolien D’hoore (Bel) Wiggle Honda, 3:19:23
2. Giorgia Bronzini (Ita) Wiggle Honda, s.t.
3. Lisa Brennauer (Ger) Velocio-SRAM, s.t.
4. Lucinda Brand (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 00:01
5. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
6. Amy Pieters (Ned) Liv-Plantur, s.t.
7. Tiffany Cromwell (Aus) Velocio-SRAM, + 00:03
8. Emma Johansson (Swe) ORICA-AIS, s.t.
9. Shelley Olds (USA) Alé Cipollini, + 00:06
10. Lauren Kitchen (Aus) Hitec Products, s.t.
Video interview in German with Lisa Brennauer on coming third.
And if you missed the Vårgårda Team Time Trial World Cup, and the huge shake-up in women’s TTT…
The last MTB World Cup of 2015, can you believe it?
You know by now how much amazing media comes out of MTB
- Pre-race: helmetcam preview with Claudio Caluori on Red Bull Bike
- Practice highlights video on Red Bull Bike and photo gallery on Dirt
- Qualifying highlights video on Red Bull Bike (no women 😦 ) and photo gallery on Dirt
- THE RACE! Results & photos (with the winning race run!), highlights video and full race replay on Red Bull Bike, photo gallery on Dirt MTB and UCI highlights:
One of the things that saddened me at this race was Emmeline Ragot announcing her retirement. She threatened it last year, but her big injuries this year have convinced her it’s time to go. Here’s a piece about her on Red Bull Bike.
2015 Junior Track Cycling World Championships
Day 2, with the women’s Team Pursuit
Day 3, with the Individual Pursuit
Day 4, with the women’s scratch
Day 5 – with the women’s omnium points, and keirin
If you’re British, and wondering why there are no young Brits there… so am I. There’s no way getting experience at World Champs level can’t help young riders win Olympics in the future… getting used to the nerves, racing on a new track, competing against the best in the world… at this point nothing British Cycling does would surprise me, but this feels so unfair on all those 16-18 year olds who have been training and working alongside their exams, rather than enjoying the perks of that age, to race and try to be the best they can be… UGH.
Video interviews: Allie Dragoo after coming second on the Stage 1 ITT and Kristin Armstrong on winning it:
There’s bound to be more, so I’ll update as I see things – but if you’ve found more, let me know in the comments, or on twitter, and I’ll be super-happy!