Stage 7 of the 2015 Giro Rosa started and finished by the beautiful Italian coast, with mountains in between, and finishing with a 2015 fast then steep & technical descent. After the first climb, with 60km to go, Lucinda Brand attacked and was out solo…. while the second climb dropped some of the big GC favourites, including Elisa Longo Borghini – and then the huge descent began.
Could Lucinda Brand make it all the way to the end? And would the descent destroy the fight for GC? Watch the highlights, and find out…
(Descending stages are my favourite, so that hour of video made me very happy indeed!)
Simplified graphic version of the day:
1. Lucinda Brand (Ned) Rabo-Liv, 2:38:15
2. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, + 02:41
3. Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA) Bigla, s.t.
4. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
5. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle Honda, s.t.
6. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
7. Mara Abbott (USA) Wiggle Honda, + 02:43
8. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabo-Liv, + 04:30
9. Roxane Knetemann (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
10. Claudia Lichtenberg (Ger) Liv-Plantur, s.t.
1. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, 21:03:41
2. Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA) Bigla, + 00:16
3. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 00:17
4. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle Honda, + 00:31
5. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, + 00:36
6. Mara Abbott (USA) Wiggle Honda, + 01:01
7. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Boels Dolmans, + 02:23
8. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabo-Liv, + 03:56
9. Roxane Knetemann (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 04:09
10. Shara Gillow (Aus) Rabo-Liv. + 04:12
Hagiwara, who crashed, drops out of the top 10, Stevens moves down and Gillow gets in.
More photos on the Giro Rosa facebook.
Race report, with rider quotes, on Ella Cycling Tips.
Race reports from Rabo-Liv, Boels Dolmans, Bigla, and Wiggle Honda. Two features on young British rider Jessie Walker, on Cycling Weekly (if you only click 1 thing, click this) and on Velo UK. Race diaries from Lizzie Williams and Tiffany Cromwell on Ella Cycling Tips.
Rider and team reactions
More information about the theft on Velonews. But…
The action doesn’t stop tomorrow – with the 21km Time Trial, there’s a real chance for riders to move up the General Classification. Check out Velofocus’ preview of the course – that’s a hard ITT.
The Stage 8 ITT will be updated LIVE here, and the startlist is here. You can also follow it live as it happens, with my guide. You can listen to Dan and me talk about Stages 2 to 6 on our latest women’s cycling podcast, and if you want to chat Giro or the sport in general, leave me a comment, or talk to me on twitter.
I’m funded to do this kind of thing by my wonderful Patreon supporters – thank you so much! You can join them here from as little as $2 a month – it helps keep me sane while I hunt down all the women’s cycling information I can find!