Stage 6, Giro Rosa 2015 – climbs & descents all day – videos, photos, links and more
Today was a tough Giro Rosa stage, with three categorised climbs, and some tough descents. It was all about attacking – on the climbs, on the descents, in the gaps in between… What with early breaks, and the General Classification riders attacking each other, anything could have happened and at one point maglia rosa Megan Guarnier was dropped by a group that contained GC favourites Anna van der Breggen, Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio and Elisa Longo Borghini…. would she lose her lead? Meanwhile Mayuko Hagiwara attacked from the break with 25km to go – could she hold off the chase? Watch the highlights and find out.
I’ll update with more video as I find it, but there’s a lot of photos, links and more below.
(NB that’s the simplified version – lots more attacks than that!)
1. Mayuko Hagiwara (Jpn) Wiggle Honda, 3:12:26
2. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, + 00:24
3. Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA) Bigla, s.t.
4. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
5. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
6. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Boels Dolmans, s.t.
7. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle Honda, s.t.
8. Flavia Oliveira Parks (Bra) Alé Cipollini, s.t.
9. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabo-Liv, s.t.
10. Shara Gillow (Aus) Rabo-Liv. + 00:27
Such a deserving winner in Hagiwara, after working so hard in the mountains, and being out in the break. It’s a historic moment, the first time a Japanese or Asian rider has won a stage of the women’s Giro. Watching all the Japanese cycling fans celebrating on twitter was wonderful – as was seeing how so many riders from so many teams have been congratulating her.
And post-win reactions from Hagiwara
And look how strong Rabo were today…
And wow, what a fight by Guarnier and Boels-Dolmans to not only defend her jersey, but also extend her lead!
1. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans, 18:22:51
2. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 00:11
3. Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA) Bigla, + 00:14
4. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle Honda, + 00:25
5. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Boels Dolmans, + 00:28
6. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Rabo-Liv, + 00:30
7. Mayuko Hagiwara (Jpn) Wiggle Honda, + 00:33
8. Mara Abbott (USA) Wiggle Honda, + 00:53
9. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabo-Liv, + 02:01
10. Roxane Knetemann (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 02:14
It wasn’t just riders who liked Hagiwara’s win – from the Giro Rosa facebook:
The historical triumph on today’s Giro Rosa stage for the Japanese athlete of Wiggle Honda Cycling Team has caused an “explosion” of sharings and views on the web: The photo taken and shared while Mayuko crossed the finish line has totalized more that 50,000 views, about 1,000 “likes” and “sharings”. Today it is a really historical day for women cycling.
The usual wonderful photos by Balint Hamvas on Cyclephotos – love the mountains, love the hairpins. And another gallery from Velofocus – with some great post-win reaction shots. And photos from the Giro Rosa facebook.
Race report with Hagiwara quotes on Ella Cycling Tips, and race reports from Wiggle Honda, with Hagiwara quotes, Rabo-Liv, Boels-Dolmans, Bigla, and Alé Cipollini. And itmofnw has pulled together a timeline in Japanese of all today’s live race tweets.
My Q&As with Velocio-SRAM super-domestiques Loren Rowney and Carlee Taylor. Stage 6 diaries from Tiffany Cromwell and Lizzie Williams on Cycling Tips. Mini-interview with Karol-Ann Canuel (French) and interview with Elisa Delzenne after she abandoned (French).
Team and rider reactions
So what’s in store for tomorrow’s Stage 7? More climbing, even more climbing, yet more climbing… and a fast, technical drop down to the finish. Here’s Velofocus’ preview, and if you want to follow the rest of the race as it happens, here’s my guide – and if you want to chat Giro or women’s cycling in general, leave me a comment, or talk to me on twitter.
I’m funded to do this kind of thing by my wonderful Patreon supporters – thank you so much! You can join them here from as little as $2 a month – it helps keep me sane while I hunt down all the women’s cycling information I can find!