Stage 1 was described as “one for the sprinters”, but it was anything but. Chloe Hosking’s description from her Cyclingnews blog:
Why did we have a neutralised lap I hear you ask? Well, the easy answer is because the course was crazy. With an extremely narrow approach to the climb, combined with a technical descent that was followed by an even more technical and narrow flat section there were more than a few occasions during the neutralised lap that I found my self holding my breath and hoping for the best, and maybe muttering a few other things.
It had a ton of technical elements, the hill on the lap was vicious and the descent lined with mattresses, because it was a hard one…. My race report is on Podium Café, but here are the videos I’ve seen so far. And don’t forget, if you want to follow the race live as it happens, and watch the tv, here’s my guide.
Here’s Ash Moolman’s audio description of the stage, and more great blogs from Peta Mullens, from Tiffany Cromwell on CyclingTips, and from Marijn de Vries on puking all the way round the course. Superb gallery of photos on VeloFocus.
And here are the results:
1. Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabobank-Liv
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Hitec Products, + 00:04
3. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabobank-Liv, + 00:05
4. Claudia Häusler (Ger) Liv-Shimano + 01:20
5. Megan Guarnier (USA) s.t.
6. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabobank-Liv, s.t.
7. Emma Johansson (Swe) ORICA-AIS, s.t.
8. Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) Hitec Products, s.t.
9. Mara Abbott (USA) UnitedHealthCare, s.t.
10. Audrey Cordon (Fra) Hitec Products,+ 01:59
Here’s the Rabo-Liv video, and I have to say, I laughed at the title…. her first of many, no doubt!
1. Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabobank-Liv 2:44:20
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Hitec Products, + 00:15
3. Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabobank-Liv, + 00:23
4. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabobank-Liv, + 01:36
5. Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) Hitec Products, + 01:42
6. Claudia Häusler (Ger) Liv-Shimano, s.t.
7. Emma Johansson (Swe) ORICA-AIS, + 01:44
8. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels-Dolmans, s.t.
9. Audrey Cordon (Fra) Hitec Products, + 01:55
10. Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Rabobank-Liv, + 02:06
No interviews from Clara Beard‘s parents today, but here’s a video from them of that tunnel
and here’s Wiggle-Honda’s video