Podcast 2014 Special Feature – Episode 13 – Sarah interviews Emma Pooley
In her continuing series of special one-on-one interviews, Sarah sits down with Emma Pooley to discuss her reduced year last year, which included marathons, triathlons and finishing her PhD studies. They also cover what her plans are for the season ahead. Emma Pooley is one of the most interesting riders in the peloton, the 2010 World Time Trial Champion and 2008 Olympic ITT silver medallist. She’s also won some of the biggest races in the women’s calendar, including the Tour de l’Aude Grand Tour, and World Cups including the Trofeo Alfredo Binda, Flèche Wallonne and the GP de Plouay, combining climbing skills with suicide attacks. She and Sarah discussed her work campaigning for women’s cycling and Amnesty International, getting through her PhD, running marathons in snowstorms, what she feels about her new team, Lotto-Belisol – and of course, coming back in time for the 4th Road World Cup, Flèche Wallonne…. (38:43 MIN / 37.18 MB)
It’s also available as a transcript, on Podium Café – part 1, on finishing her PhD, running marathons in the snow, campaigning for women’s cycling, and supporting Amnesty International – and part 2, previewing the Flèche Wallonne and the Friends Life Women’s Tour.
- Follow Emma through her season on her twitter, and through Lotto-Belisol‘s twitter and website.
- There’s another recent interview with her on the BBC website, where she talks about her future in triathlon, and you should definitely read it!
- More about the Le Tour Entier campaign and manifesto – and about the Half the Road documentary, including details of how you can get to see it.
- Amnesty International has portals for different countries – go in through their main international page, and see how you can help them. It’s not just about giving money – signing their petitions and writing letters really helps them out. Have a look at their activism centre (that’s the international one – this is the British one – and here’s more information about their AmnesTea campaign).
- Flèche Wallonne is on Wednesday 23rd April – guide to following it “live”
- The Friends Life Women’s Tour of Britain, 7th-11th May