Home > cycling, General rambling, women's cycling > Let’s play a game! The Podium Café FSA Virtual Directeur Sportif game

Let’s play a game! The Podium Café FSA Virtual Directeur Sportif game

It’s that time of year again, as the season is nearly upon us, and a whole crop of Directeur Sportif games.  There are loads of them out there, but I have my favourite – Podium Café’s FSA DS.  There’s a men’s and a women’s side, and as you can imagine, I love the women’s cycling one the best.

It’s a simple premise – you have up to 150 points to spend on 15 riders, and apart from the fact you can’t spend more than 100 points on riders in the 20+ categories, that’s the entire of the rules.  if you want to pick riders from all one country, or all one real team, or whose names begin with E you can – it’s all up to you.  People play this who follow women’s cycling obsessively, or who don’t know anything about the peloton and are using this as a great way to learn – there’s no pressure, it’s just for fun!

The deadline for picking your team is 28th February 2014, and here are some resources:

• The Game website (you may need to hit the button for the women’s game at the top) – you”ll need to sign up for it, and it’s completely free, you won’t get spammed or anything like that
  • Podium Café post introducing the game – and the PdC section for game posts
  • Some ramblings from me on the women’s side, with conversation (and other people’s tips) in the comments

• Jens has written a great guide to how to make a team to crush the Spring Classics (and how Flandriennes are from the Netherlands!)

You can set up your own mini-league if you like, and Dan and I will probably set up an unofficial Unsanctioned Women’s FSA DS league – if you’d like to join it and compete directly with us (and destroy Dan…) then tell us your team name in the comments, tweet me at @_pigeons_ or email me at prowomenscycling [at] gmail [dot] com.  I love this game, and I hope you will too!

1. February 14, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I’m in already, quite good system to make you pick the ‘lesser known’ riders too.

February 15, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Yeah, it’s been built to deliberately force people to look at the riders lower down the table, which I really love. Every year we get a load of people who say they didn’t know anything about women’s racing, but the game taught them a lot, and they followed the racing and really enjoyed it – that makes me very happy!

2. February 15, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Wow, Sarah…! It’s really *tough*, been through 3 ‘drafts’ already, may make a couple more changes before the submit-deadline but I’m sticking with my Vos-team for now. 🙂

• February 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm

And Vera K. ‘chicked’ 98 guys today in a race – and she’s only 6 points!!

She’s on my team now…

• February 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm

err… 92 guys. Still…

3. February 16, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Hah! Already been through 4 “drafts” with my proposed Vos-team…😛
    How my current team stands now (subject to change, of course):

I’m REALLY high on Coryn Rivera (UHC)… though she hasn’t done much in Europe (thus she’s only 2 points), she’s pretty big in the US collegiate citcuit winning multiple titles for Marian University. And she’s done well in the past with the various TWENTYxx teams… and just loves to attack! She may be putting more devotion to racing pro this year (I think she’s still attending Marian U, I need to look that up) thus the signing w/UHC, an I sincerely hope (and expect) she will be selected by Team USA for the Giro Rosa.

• February 16, 2014 at 3:49 pm

4 points not 2..

February 16, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I know that feeling with making teams over and over again! I never submit mine until the last minute to get ready for collarbones and such. My biggest problem is I always pick heart-over-head…. riders I WANT to do well🙂

• February 16, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Yep… I may end up submitting the last week before March 1. I like this draft though I may tweak it a bit (still on the fence about Tayler Wiles)… following straw dog’s advice in that the best way to fill a Vos-team is with a slew of strong 6-pointers. This will get interesting…

February 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Straw Dog REALLY knows his onions – winner of the last two games! That spreadsheet he posted in the comments of my Podium Café article I put in the bulletpoints is crazy-good!

The thing about Coryn Rivera is I’m not sure if she’ll do much racing in Europe this year, and you need your 6-pointers to be scoring points consistently…. Decisions, decisions!

February 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm

(4-pointers in Coryn’s case, but same thing🙂 )

• February 16, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Yep.. and not enough US races on the calendar. Still there are options to consider for 4-ptrs (Kitchen, for one)..

February 17, 2014 at 11:49 am

Yeah, I’m not madly impressed with that – it’s the re-introduction of the crit that used to happen as a UCI race, now no longer UCI, and too late an addition for lots of teams to add it to their plans – and the ITT still remains an “invitational” race for a very limited field… oh well, maybe they’ll make sure the pros aren’t trying to race with sportif riders all over the road this year:-/

• February 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Plus, it’s coming right off the tail-end of the Women’s Tour in the UK, so the ToC can forget about any UK/Euro teams adjusting their schedules at the last minute for this one… prob. won’t see anything other than the US continental teams at this women’s ToC crit. Anything to do with Amgen (who makes EPO) is a potential red-flag imho…

4. February 17, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Better news from the USA…
    kacey lloyd ‏@kmanderz 21m

Thanks to @hatchMAP we have equal payout for the Women’s @Redhookcrit! Sign up now ladies: http://redhookcrit.com/register

5. baldursvoice
    February 24, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I have created a team for the first time this year called Team Down and Out, If I do not come last I will be shocked
    Oh my the way loving the podcast making my 4 round trip for work each day much better so thanks

February 24, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Going for the Lantern Rouge is a worthy goal!

Glad you like the ‘cast, too – thanks for the lovely words🙂

1. February 26, 2014 at 12:59 pm