Some things I’ve been thinking about this week
Two things I’ve been thinking a lot about, in terms of the state of cycling:
- The Giro Toscana organisers are still threatening to take riders to court over the protest in the race. I can’t believe it, but apparently riders aren’t allowed to withdraw from races in protest – but this can’t stand up in any court, surely? The Italian Cycling Federation has been asked to investigate, and damn, I hope it backfires on the organisers.
- I’ve done some analysis on the 2013 and 2014 road cycling calendars. Some quick facts:
- in September ’12, 180 racing days were on the calendar for 2013, but because of cancellations etc, only 147 were raced.
- But despite losing races, there are currently 168 racing days planned for 2014 – 10 more, if you believe the races in Syria and Brazil will go ahead.
- There are some unfortunate overlaps in next year’s calendar, but some clear gaps for new races, or for existing races to expand into.
- Overall, it’s good news – click through and admire my skill in colour-coding charts.
Also, if you want to celebrate Marianne Vos winning the 2013 Road Cycling Championships, Freebird Velo has her “When I grow up I want to ride like Marianne Vos” t-shirts back in her Etsy store. I love mine, I really recommend these for all your friends & family & children you know & Secret Santa gifts etc etc etc!