Hi everyone! This week Dan’s depressed about the forthcoming Aussie election so Sarah cheers him up with all the latest news around Plouay, Boels Ladies Tour, the World MTB championships and a whole heap of other racing excitement. And Sarah talks a lot about knickers! (but it’s sort of related to cycling, really). We also discuss Sarah’s “opinions” about national federations and the UCI and Dan nominates Sarah for a new job at the UCI. For all the fun and madcappery (plus the curious sort of road-accident-can’t-look-away-ish-ness of Dan being so despondent) listen along below! (1:19:54 MIN / 76.71 MB)
Things we talked about this week
Starting with video from Stage 1 of the Boels Rental Ladies Tour, with that incredible unpaved dirt section
Last week’s racing
- All the videos and links we’ve seen
- Dave McPartland’s comments in the ORICA-AIS race report
- All the videos and links we’ve seen
- We especially liked this video from Dirt, with Rachel Atherton talking about the race-day-knicker dilemma
- Caroline Buchanan has won the 2013 BMX World Champs, came 5th in the downhill and is now off for the Fourcross Worlds…. follow her adventures on her twitter!
There wasn’t that much information out there, but some things we saw
- Australians! Carol Cooke’s excellent blogs, Alex Green’s tumblr with great pictures and Cycling Australia’s reports on Day 1 and their wrap-up
- Cycling Canada reports
- U.S. Paralympics information: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and Day 4
- British Cycling’s reports on Day 2, Day 3 and Day 4, and their pre-Games article on Lora Turnham and Corrinne Hall – and the BBC article about their two medals
- The UCI’s event page with their reports and full results
This week’s racing
Tour de l’Ardèche, 2nd-7th September
- Prologue & Stage 1 report from Wiggle Honda
- UPDATE! Here’s a little bit of video, focusing on French team Vienne Futuroscope
Boels Rental Ladies Tour, 3rd-8th September
- Race promo video
- Post-race Stage 1 interviews – with winner Kirsten Wild (Dutch) and GC leader Lizzie Armitstead (English)
- More interviews after Stage 1, in Dutch, with Esra Tromp (with cute dirt lines on her face!) and Mascha Pijnenborg
- Stage 1 race report and photos on womenscycling.net – and the ORICA-AIS report
- Watch out for videos on the Cycling Australia youtube. UPDATE! Here’s their video from Day 2 (stage 2 for the men, stage 1 for the women)
Sarah’s post of ideas on how the UCI and national Federations can help women cyclists and to help develop women’s cycling.
Want to know who’ll be riding World Championships? We’re collecting the news in a Podium Café post (check the comments for, well, commentary) And if you, or anyone you know, is new to the women’s peloton and wants avice on who to follow for the Worlds, if you tweet Sarah your/their favourite type of male rider, she’ll send you their equivalent (here’s last year’s posts of Equivalents – part 1, part 2 and part 3)
We prove ourselves to be the laziest podcast by talking about races we didn’t watch or follow.
We didn’t mention this, but the first UCI women’s coaching course has just finished, and you can read about that here.
The URBANIST Chammy knickers kickstarter (that’s knickers-as-in-underpants, the British way!)
The launch of the 2014 Energiewacht Tour – 7 stages, and 4 stages for the junior women – they’ve added an extra day. Here’s the video:
here’s the launch video from RTV Noord
Sarah reckons this is pretty much exactly Dan’s opinion on the whole Australian election choice. Sarah doesn’t believe him, but Dan swears he didn’t write it, although he admits it does sound like he did (Sarah realises if he had written it, it would have had a section on asylum policy and Dan maintains that if he had written it, he’d have spelt “fuckwittage” properly). Unsurprisingly, it contains swearing.
Giro della Toscana, 11th-15th September
MTB World Cup – Hafjell, 12th-15th September
- All of this will be on Red Bull TV – follow live for the Eliminator on 12th Sept, women’s and men’s cross country on 14th, and the Downhill on 15th.
Chrono Champenois, 15th September
This happened a while ago, but Sarah’s just found video of the 2013 Tour de Languedoc Roussillon: