Sarah and I get a little manic-depressive this week because there’s so much awesome racing to talk about and celebrate, but… well we almost called this episode “Riders that we love who aren’t riding the Giro Rosa”. All’s not lost though because we realise that it’s going to be fucking great race anyway! Along the way we recap the Nature Valley GP from Minneapolis-St Paul and the Giro del Trentino. We round up the various national race results and I come up with a theory about how Vos defies the laws of physics by tearing holes in the fabric of time and space. I also have a theory (which Sarah disputes) about Emilia Fahlin having the evil heart of an assassin. Sarah also does her best to convince me that I should let her run my life and then starts to solicit dates for me. Then we take a moment to be encouraged and impressed by Ina-Yoko Teutenberg’s interview with Heidi Swift where she discusses the physical and psychological impacts of her crash and head injury earlier this season. We wrap things up by trying to predict how the Giro Rosa may go given all the news about who is and isn’t able to ride it this year. All up there’s more good than bad, more up and than down and more to listen to than usual because we’re spanning two weeks in one handy podcast! ( 1:31:32 MIN / 87.78 MB )
UPDATE!!! Sarah’s asking riders about the Giro this week, for Podium Café, and the lovely team of ORICA-AIS are going to do a video Q&A for them – if you have any pre-race questions you want to ask them, go to the Podium Café post, email prowomenscycling [at] gmail [dot] com or tweet Sarah on @_pigeons_! Questions need to be in by Wednesday evening, but there may be in-race opportunities too….
Sarah will be updating the post shortly with all the links and videos and things that make the post awesome. Until then, here’s a musical tribute to my fear that Sarah and I have somehow jinxed all these riders we love that can’t ride the Giro Rosa this year:
UPDATED UPDATE!!!!: It occurred to me today that instead of posting Alice Cooper above (still awesome), I should have instead posted this song by Why? called Simeon’s Dilemma in tribute of Sarah’s accusations of stalking (and the fact that it mentions fixies):
Things we talked about this week
- How much we loved the Nature Valley Grand Prix – and how much you should watch all their videos
- We talked National Championships – a LOT – and there’ll be a separate video post to follow. if you want all the results, Inrng has the men’s & women’s road race table, and the Podium Café Virtual DS site has all the women’s road & ITT
- We were really moved by this interview with Ina-Yoko Teutenberg on PelotonMagazine.com – on recovering from her crash, in all senses, and athletes’ depression. Heal fast, Ina.
- Emma Pooley just won a ridiculous Alpine extreme triathlon – look at the profiles!
- We can’t wait for the Giro Rosa! Have a look at the great race website, and the previews on Les Déesses de la Route and on Velofocus. And for more about ORICA’s plans for the race, read this article on their site
- We never did work out which one of us was Thelma and which Louise, but if you have bets for which one of us would survive a road trip – or you’d like to be Dan’s lifecoach and offer him advice, leave a message in the comments or email us at prowomenscycling [at] gmail [dot] com