Home > cycling, General rambling, photography > Please can you tell me why you love cycling?

Please can you tell me why you love cycling?

Either here in the comments, on my tumblr, or tweet me as @_pigeons_ – I’m wanting to see if I can do a photography project based around cycling.  What I want to do is take some photos that illustrate why people love cycling, and see if I can take photos that capture that feeling.

If you could tell me in the comment, or in a tweet, how you cycle most – you know, like racing, or commuting, or riding for leisure – or what you like best about watching/following pro cycling.  Or if you have different things you like about different kinds of ridiing, or disciplines, I’d love to know that, too.  And it’s not necessary, but if you could leave a name/handle, country and age – or any of those, whatever you feel like.  It’s all up to you!  I’d appreciate it enormously – thankyou so much!

1. Shaun Houlahan
    June 10, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Hi Sarah. I have 3 bikes. A commuter I use for running errands, occasional trips to work and weekend training, a mountain bike for off road or trail riding and a racing bike for road races and triathlon. As its winter here in New Zealand most of my riding is on my commuter.
    I love to ride because it’s great exercise, it saves me money, but mostly because it’s fun.

2. Trevor
    June 10, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I love climbing. Whether it’s a climb I’ve done before or a brand new one, short or long, I just love the feeling of suffering, enduring and finally conquering. Why? Because it’s there and because climbing is life distilled
- Trevor 46 competitive leisure rider USA

3. camkay
    June 11, 2013 at 5:15 am

Cycling is a deeply personal thing for me ( most people too I think). Its my time to look deep inside and straighten my mind. Its looking at a mountain uphill or down or a great expanse of road and asking yourself two big questions, ” who am I? And can I do this?”. I am a leisure rider that loves the accomplishment of conquering on a bike. I know my City/State/Community because of my bike.

4. June 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

cycling is a great sport to follow as it has the individualistic feel like tennis, team support feel like football, the international feel of test cricket and similar risks of motor racing🙂

5. Anne-Marie
    June 11, 2013 at 11:05 am

I love cycling because I love that awesome feeling of power and strenght in my legs, when I’m pushing a big gear and it still feels easy, when I’m cutting through the wind and can feel the sun on my skin. I just love that cycling combines feeling weightless yet powerful and strong at the same time. And of course, nothing speaks against a great view, a challenging climb and being outside when the weather is lovely! I mainly cycle for training (i.e. for fun) for triathlons and sometimes commute. I’m 23 years old🙂

6. CB
    June 11, 2013 at 11:22 am

I have a leg fetish. I get excited when I see all the legs. Also I like the feeling in my own legs when pedaling hard. Almost better than sex

7. ant1
    June 11, 2013 at 1:57 pm

i was just talking about one aspect of this with a friend last night. riding from home and watching the surroundings go from urban, to suburban, to rural, all in one ride. riding through parts of the city we don’t otherwise frequent.

8. June 12, 2013 at 12:24 pm

In an area like Jacksonville, Florida – where there is little tolerance for road cyclists by motorists, I believe this city is ranked one of the worst in the USA in that regard – it can be a challenge for a recreational road rider like myself to love cycling in an area where riders are more often than not heckled, honked at, and have rubbish thrown at – and in extreme cases even side-swiped & shot at! – by idiot motorists (my feeling is that they tend to target the overweight ones.. ;-P ), but I love cycling nonetheless because it provides a level of physical challenge that just about anyone can set goals to meet, and with dedication & perseverance meet those goals then set new ones…

Being inspired by pro racers is a huge boost, and watching them race I learn a lot from them even though I couldn’t possibly meet their level of fitness, it gives me a goal to reach and I am determined to meet that goal someday. Rarely is there another sport or physical-activity that gives you that other than cycling.

9. Jacky Harris
    June 12, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I only started cycling last year at the age of 50 and I really wish I had done so sooner,I love the freedom and time on my bike lets me think things through on my own.I have gone out on my bike in a foul mood but always come home with a smile on my face,it has made my a much happier person.I don’t go very fast but that doesn’t matter to me-I just love being out in the fresh air with my thoughts and my bike.

1. June 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm