This week Sarah and I digress. A lot. It’s like this game I used to play when I was at university and someone would be trying to tell a joke and I would interrupt them to ask really specific and deliberately pointless questions. Like, they’d say “A priest, a rabbi and a cowboy walked into a bar…” and I’d say things like “An orthodox rabbi?” and “What sort of priest? Catholic or Episcopalian?” or “Did the cowboy have pearl-handled pistols?” This week’s episode is exactly like that.
We also talk about a bunch of races including Omloop van Borsele, Dwars door de Westhoek, Sea Otter, Gracia Orlova, Elsy Jacobs and more. There are some excellent blogs from Ashleigh Moolman and Marijn de Vries. But even if none of that stuff grabs your attention, you should at least listen to hear Sarah try to explain what she knows about bikes. It’s fucking hilarious. (1:13:46 MIN / 70.83 MB)
Or you can iTune it for free over here.
Things we talked about this week
Last week’s racing – read Sarah’s report about it all on Total Women’s Cycling.
- Sarah’s stories from her time with Hitec Products UCK – part 1, preparing for the race, and part 2, the race from the team car & after – and her interviews with Elisa Longo Borghini and Ashleigh Moolman after their podium places, and an interview with Rachel Neylan on Podium Café
- EDIT! And here’s the video with 12 mins each from Flèche and Flanders, narrated by David Harmon, in English:
- More videos – finish-line videos from the elite race, the junior women’s stage race Stage 2 and Stage 3 a home-made Junior women’s stage race highlights
- Results of the elite women’s race and the junior women’s stage race
- Chloe Hosking of Hitec is now leading the Topcompetitie, and Elisa Longo Borghini leads the Best Young Rider section
- All the information you need on their comprehensive website
This week’s racing:
- Monty.’s preview on Podium Café – follow all the things the Café finds about the race in the comments
- Previews by Tiffany Cromwell on the ORICA-AIS site, and Sarah’s preview on Podium Café (follow the race in the comments). More previews on Velofocus and on Les Déesses – and in Spanish on Cobbles & Hills
- Sarah’s stories from when she went to the race in 2011, with then-Horizon-now-Matrix Fitness Racing Academy
The Australia song that makes Sarah want to visit.
Big thanks to BassFace for all the videos he posts in the comments on our blog – we both really appreciate it – and everyone should look at his music blog
Blogs we liked:
- Ashleigh Moolman’s blog on Flèche Wallonne
- Shara Gillow’s tale of running out of food on a ride, and why she’s taking firewood on her training ride from now on
- Marijn de Vries’ blog on being told by her DS last year that she was no good – and how great that feels to prove him wrong
- Interview with Jessie Maclean on ORICA-AIS and more, on CyclingTips
We didn’t talk about these, because we hadn’t seen them yet, but Ina-Yoko Teutenberg has a blog up about her slow recovery from the head injury she suffered in March. We hope Teute recovers fully and well very, very soon.
And here’s a small video about Marianne Vos‘ life in cycling: