Home > cycling, women's cycling > Nicole Cooke goes out with a bang

Nicole Cooke goes out with a bang

I have been robbed by drug cheats, but I am fortunate, I am here before you with more in my basket than the 12 year old dreamed of. But for many genuine people out there who do ride clean; people with morals, many of these people have had to leave the sport with nothing after a lifetime of hard work – some going through horrific financial turmoil. When Lance “cries” on Oprah later this week and she passes him a tissue, spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances.

Nicole Cooke was the first rider ever, male or female, to win the Olympic and World Championship road race in the same year, and it’s sad to see her leave the sport, after a difficult four years.  But she’s certainly going out with a bang, with one of the most passionate, angry exit statements I’ve ever seen.  Click through to her website and read it – I’ve written some thoughts on the matter on Podium Café, but really, read her statement, it’s more than powerful.

Update: Nicole’s website has been overwhelmed in the last couple of days. If you’re having trouble getting to her site, you can view the full text of her statement at Velonation.

1. kevinmayne
    January 14, 2013 at 10:07 pm
  2. January 14, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Brava, Nicole!! Felicitations on a glorious career…

And folks, a tip… if you happen to read the cyclingnews.com piece on Nicole, do pay no mind to the comments below by some asswipe-troll named “TERMINATOR”. He’s probably Shane Sutton…😉

• sarahcycling
      January 15, 2013 at 7:57 am

Ha, I have a personal rule to never read the CN comments!😉

• January 19, 2013 at 2:42 am

yep! I see Trollminator had “backup” as well in the form of ‘epofuel’ (Brailsford??😉 ) Oh, the irony… In any case it looks like a moderator scrubbed most of Trollminator’s comments.

3. January 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Required reading for all cyclists. Spoken bravely Nicole!

• January 19, 2013 at 2:45 am