Home > cycling, women's cycling > Video! Stage 9, Giro Rosa 2014

Video! Stage 9, Giro Rosa 2014

I can’t believe this year’s race is over – such pangs of withdrawal symptoms, but wow, what a race to finish on.  First of all you need to read the blogs about the early parts of the stage, from Chloe Hosking, and from Tiffany Cromwell on CyclingTips – and then you MUST read Marijn de Vries’ blog on the Madonna del Ghisallo climb, it’s such an evocative piece. (Although they all three give away the ending :-) )Now you can watch the videos.  If you want, you can read my race report on Podium Café, but the hour-long highlights have pretty much the entire of the Ghisallo climb:

and this is adorable – Rabobank-Liv asked all the 2014 Giro Donne stage winners to thank Astoria for the prosecco they enjoyed on the podium

Stage 9 results

1.   Emma Pooley (GBr) Lotto-Belisol, 1:57:40, + 10″ bonifications
2.   Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabobank-Liv, + 00:25, + 8″ bonis
3.   Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabobank-Liv, s.t., + 7″ bonis
4.   Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabobank-Liv, + 00:33
5.   Mara Abbott (USA) UnitedHealthcare, s.t.
6.   Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Hitec Products, + 00:38
7.   Claudia Lichtenberg (Häusler) (Ger) Liv-Shimano, + 00:49
8.   Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 00:50
9.   Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels-Dolmans, s.t.
10. Tetyana Riabchenko (Ukr) Michela Fanini, + 01:52

Final General Classification

1.   Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabobank-Liv, 25:12:07
2.   Pauline Ferrand-Prévot (Fra) Rabobank-Liv, + 00:15
3.   Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Rabobank-Liv, + 01:32
4.   Mara Abbott (USA) UnitedHealthcare, + 01:54
5.   Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Hitec Products, + 02:06
6.   Claudia Häusler (Ger) Liv-Shimano, + 03:18
7.   Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels-Dolmans, + 06:59
8.   Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Rabo-Liv, + 07:16
9.   Emma Pooley (GBr) Lotto-Belisol, + 08:23
10. Emma Johansson (Swe) ORICA-AIS, + 08:36

Here’s the video from Rabobank, talking about how they feel after the race:

And here’s Vos talking in the press conference

and Queen of the Mountains Emma Pooley

and Best Italian Elisa Longo Borghini

Another Rabo one in Dutch:

and one final one of them prepping for the race:

More fun, as the final Giro stage had clearly got to Wiggle Honda! (Nice Q&As with riders!)

***

And of course, the photos from Velofocus – riders crossing the line in various states :-)

UPDATE!  I interviewed Rabo DS Koos Moerenhout about the Madonna del Ghisallo ‘controversy’, and you can read that on Podium Café.

Huge thanks to the whole Giro Rosa team – if you’ve liked the race, please thank them on twitter, and on their facebook and website.

Come back this week for Dan and me podcast-reviewing the last half of the race (listen to the first half here) – and of course, if you see more fun stuff, please add it to the comments, or tell me on twitter!

About these ads
  1. July 15, 2014 at 12:34 am

I am a big fan of Vos and her team but totally disliked the ‘team work’ tactic of blocking Mara Abbott repeatedly in stage 9.

2. Sarah
    July 15, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Agreed. RaboLiv were riding like a bunch of thugs to box Mara in and preserve their team podium. This type of negative racing is so beneath Marianne Vos!

3. July 15, 2014 at 9:56 pm

That was some of the dirtiest riding I’ve seen outside of a sprint. Guess they can’t beat you if you run them off the road.
    Half the road my arse, they’ll have the whole thing thanks :)

4. July 15, 2014 at 11:00 pm

People… get over it!!

5. July 15, 2014 at 11:09 pm

And oh, BTW… did anyone complain when 3-4 Italians attacked & harrased Vos again & again so that Guderzo could win the rainbow-jersey at 2009 Worlds? I don’t think so…

While a bit excessive I’ll admit there was NOTHING ILLEGAL about what the Rabo riders did. The competition needs to step up their game and do better next time. With all due respect all I am seeing right now the past 2-3 days are a bunch of Internet crybabies pissing & whining because a team did whatever they had to do to win a race – it’s not the first time & won’t be the last time… anyway, that’s my 2-cents worth.

• July 15, 2014 at 11:16 pm

But I will confess it made for an exciting finish to what was becoming a rather predictable race. ;)

• Sarah
      July 15, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Well, I’m not familiar with the Italian rulebook, but on page 42 of the USA cycling rulebook (https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/forms/rules/2014-USAC-Rulebook-Chapter1.pdf) rule 1N7 says “No rider may make an abrupt motion so as to interfere with the forward progress of another rider, either intentionally or by accident.” It seems to me that RaboLiv broke that rule repeatedly.

• July 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

I did not see the 2009 worlds but if the Italians were blatantly blocking Vos, I would not have liked the tactic either. Repeated attacks, I am all for it. The Dutch did it in the last two worlds.

1. July 15, 2014 at 1:52 pm