Podcast 2013 Episode 7 – The Sarah Guarantee
This week Sarah and I recap the week’s racing with Trofeo Alfredo Binda and Gent-Wevelgem, then leap into previewing the Ronde van Vlaanderen voor Vrouwen. Dan asks Belgium WTF? WTF Belgium? We also discover a huge range of cool stuff online. Videos, blogs, etc. Sarah makes an implausible guarantee to a rider (and I am merciless in taunting her for it). We get an awesome question from someone via twitter and weirdly enough actually have the same answer. Sarah also finds a couple of really uplifting stories of hardship and triumph from around the world. It’s one of the greatest weeks in cycling and so you should prepare properly by stocking up on Belgian beer and settling in for some hilarity. (1:14:48 MIN / 71.80 MB)
You can stream the greatest RVV preview here (or right-click, save-as to download).
Or you can snag the latest episode from the iTunes store.
Things we talked about this week
- Sarah’s two interviews with race winner Elisa Longo Borghini, both before and after the race, on Podium Café
- Amanda Spratt and Jessie Maclean‘s comedy twitter exchange before the race – and Jessie’s excitement at Amanda’s ride\
- Rabobank didn’t get off to the best start (I’m very glad no one was hurt):
— Iris Slappendel (@irisslappendel) March 24, 2013
Next week’s racing
The Ronde van Vlaanderen – 31st March 2013
- How to follow the race – with links to useful information
- Tiffany Cromwell‘s preview of the race on the ORICA-AIS website
- Marijn de Vries‘ blog on the difference between previewing and racing the course on Cyclismas
- Sarah’s pre-race interview with Specialized-lululemon rider Trixi Worrack
- Jens’ list of the contenders on Podium Café
Energiewacht Tour – 3rd-7th April
- Follow the race twitter and check out the race website
- There will be daily video coverage on Dutch channel RTL7
And the ORICA-AIS guide to looking good on the bike:
Jaysmackie‘s excellent teaser – what’s your answer?
@_pigeons_ if one choice, more coverage or races,1.All World cup races streamed free&full, 2.Strade Bianche/Roma Maxima Women’s races(OMG!)
— Jays Mackie (@jaysmackie) March 29, 2013
Some more serious sides of women’s cycling:
- Collyn Ahart’s blog on Total Women’s Cycling on having to pull out of the Absa Cape Epic,
- Gillian Carleton’s blog on how very bad news effected her Track World Championships – and how she got her cycling mojo back
- When cycling for women really is about freedom and human rights. If you only click one link, read this article about the Afghanistan women’s cycling team, and if you can, please support the film being made about it, or help provide gear and kit to the team (see the bottom of the article)
We like the idea behind 30 Days of Biking – if you want to pledge to ride your bike every day in April, sign up here
Things we forgot to mention, but should have talked about
Good news about USA racing! The Philadelphia Classic is back – and paying equal prize money to the women!
Marianne Vos has been checking out the Worlds course in Florence (interview in English)
and her tweet about the course – so, just her style of riding, then!
Grazie Andrea Tafi for showing us the Worlds’ courses in Florence! TTT is flat & straight, RR the opposite: hills & corners:-) #RaboLivGiant
— Marianne Vos (@marianne_vos) March 20, 2013