The Social Media Jersey – You only get ONE vote, use it wisely
It’s been an awesome journey to get to this point. Once again a huge thanks to everyone who has donated, tweeted, facebooked, YouTubed, podcasted, blogged, MySpaced, Friendstered, Craigslisted (is that even social media?) or whatevered this competition. It’s brilliant. Together we’ve already raised (at the time of writing) $2010 on the official count but of course, that’s going to change by the time you’re reading this.
We’ve seen some amazingly cool racing and we’ve seen some great use of social media. You can review the nominations for the Giro Toscana here, and for the Tour l’Ardèche and Ladies Brain Wash Tour here.
I greatly encourage you to review the nominations before casting your vote because you only get one vote.
How the prizes will be awarded
So here’s how it all works. We’ve got one large (Mega)poll set up to cover all the prizes. This is to somewhat reflect the structure of a stage race. So think of the overall winner as the GC winner and the individual race prizes as the various jerseys. So here’s what we know we’ll be able to do for our races and prize winners so far:
- The overall winner of the Unofficial, Unsanctioned Social Media Jersey will receive
- $500USD (may vary depending on currency exchange rates and fees)
- The Unofficial Unsanctioned Social Media t-shirt including the names and messages of the donors (as per their level of donation)
- The Unofficial Unsanctioned Social Media certificate including the names of donors
- The winner of each race will be deemed as the nominee with the most votes from that race (with the exception of the overall winner – i.e. no rider can win two prizes) and they will receive
- $250USD per race/rider (may vary depending on currency exchange rates and fees)
- A certificate as the Unofficial Unsanctioned Social Media winner for their respective races
- The next 3 highest ranked riders from any race (excluding previous winners – i.e. no rider can win two prizes) will receive
- $100USD each (may vary depending on currency exchange rates and fees)
It’s important to note that:
We can’t be more specific about the prize money breakdown yet, because we don’t know the full prize pot – and need to take into account transfer fees etc, but it’ll be a nice amount of money for the overall and race winners!
After all, one of our goals is to give away as much money as possible.
How to vote
It’s worth repeating that we’ve collated all the riders who have been nominated for the Jersey into two posts – one for the Giro Toscana, and one for both the Tour de l’Ardèche and the Brainwash Ladies Tour. As you only have one vote, please take time to peruse what’s on offer before you vote – and click through to the links to see photos, read blogs and see videos etc. – and vote for the rider you think has given the best social media. Remember, every click helps the riders and teams demonstrate to their sponsors that they’re worth supporting, so don’t feel you have to rush! Especially because…
Voting is open until midnight European time on 22nd September 2012 – and you vote using the Megapoll below. We’ve randomly generated the order that the names appear in so that (hopefully) no rider is unfairly disadvantaged by appearing further down the list. That’s right people, you really should read the nominations! Anyway, I’m pretty sure you’ve used an internet poll before so I won’t bother trying to explain the mechanics to you. If you haven’t, it’s pretty easy and I’m sure you’ll figure it out. ;)
Thanks again for all your support! We really appreciate your involvement. We’re really keen to raise awareness of all this awesome Social Media, so we’d love it if you could share this post as far as you can, through tweets, blogs, facebook, anything, so that as many people see it – and hopefully vote – as possible. And of course, there’s still time to donate. It’s a made-up fact that donating makes you more sexually attractive to the gender of your preference. So, as the old saying goes, donate early and donate often! The more we give, the more we can give to more riders. If you’ve got any questions feel free to ask them in the comments.
The story of the Jersey
UPDATE from 24th August (short version: THANKYOU!!!)
UPDATE from 2nd September (Thankyou again!!!)
Nominations from the Tour de l’Ardèche and Brainwash Ladies Tour
What we’ve been talking about lately
- Women’s cycling audience survey part 3 – which cyclists do people like, and why?
- Watch the 2014 Namur Cyclocross World Cup, Live!
- Podcast 2014 Special Feature – Episode 56 – Sarah interviews Chloe Hosking
- Women’s cycling audience survey part 2 – what do people follow, and why do they like it?
- The women’s cycling audience survey – what we did and who responded